cellular automata according to Max Planck

A forum where anything goes. Introduce yourselves to other members of the forums, discuss how your name evolves when written out in the Game of Life, or just tell us how you found it. This is the forum for "non-academic" content.
Moosey

Re: cellular automata according to Max Planck

Post by Moosey » January 13th, 2020, 4:19 pm

Hubi1857 wrote:
January 13th, 2020, 3:35 pm
I hope that erases any of your concerns about my so called "insults" to members of this forum and helps @Moosey to see that he is not anymore the most promising candidate for the very first W.C.Fields medal in the history of mathematics.
Please don't imply I said something braggartly when I didn't. The only person who every talked about W.C. Fields medals was you, when you insulted me by saying that my posts were most irritating and irrelevant

I find it most concerning that you claim you don't insult people on the forum and then promptly remind everyone of the time you insulted me (and also arguably insult me then and there by implying I bragged)
not active here but active on discord

Hubi1857

Post by Hubi1857 » January 13th, 2020, 6:18 pm

You didn't bragg me at all, @Moosey.
Au contraire, my dear, you encouraged me all the time to continue my struggle against the ignorance of most of mathematicians.

Thank you very much!
Michael Ernst Hubi homo homunculus Hubertz
artist - composer - phantastrophysicist @ExtinctionRebellion

Lou Reed about time, Turing tapes and data streams:
"First thing you learn is that you always got to wait"

dani

Post by dani » January 13th, 2020, 6:57 pm

I vote to lock this thread.

Moosey

Post by Moosey » January 13th, 2020, 7:08 pm

Hubi1857 wrote:
January 13th, 2020, 6:18 pm
You didn't bragg me at all, @Moosey.
Au contraire, my dear, you encouraged me all the time to continue my struggle against the ignorance of most of mathematicians.

Thank you very much!
Okay, let me rephrase what I said: after analyzing what you said I have concluded that it was a jab at me--specifically, you were saying essentially:

"Moosey is not anymore the most promising candidate for the very first W.C.Fields medal in the history of mathematics for his 'irritating' posts, even though he irritated me once"
okay, so you had to be subtle--not just "Moosey annoyed me and I swore at him"-- you had to lie (that you did nothing wrong) to someone who didn't see the drama, and then immediately take a jab at me that was subtle enough that Bismuth would not notice it.

And also, in your most recent post, you said, once more, the thing that bugs a lot of us: you're calling us ignorant. (Specifically, you seem to especially be calling me ignorant. That is, you are specifically are calling someone who has the biggest problem with you calling us ignorant ignorant. :? )
dani wrote:
January 13th, 2020, 6:57 pm
I would vote this as well, but only if it gets to the point that Hubi tells me to **** off again--which is probably going to happen shortly.

Hubi1857

Post by Hubi1857 » January 13th, 2020, 7:19 pm

dani wrote:
Me too. And please remove any posts beyond the one of @dani.

83bismuth38

Post by 83bismuth38 » January 13th, 2020, 7:50 pm

Hubi1857, could you give an example of Max Planck's cellular automata, let's call it mpca so it's easier to write, and explain what is happening in the example? this seems like it could lead to some interesting stuff.
looking to support hive five (n+18) and charity's oboo reaction (2n+18)

Code: Select all

x = 28, y = 13, rule = B3/S23
19bo$3bo15bo4b2o$2bobo14bo4bobo$2bobo20b2o$3bo11b3o2$25b3o$b2o22b3o$o
2bo$b2o12b2o$10b2o2bobo$bo8b2o2b2o$obo7b2o!

Moosey

Post by Moosey » January 13th, 2020, 7:53 pm

Hubi1857 wrote:
January 13th, 2020, 7:19 pm
dani wrote:
Me too. And please remove any posts beyond the one of @dani.
Why? because I was right?

Hooloovoo

Post by Hooloovoo » January 13th, 2020, 10:53 pm

flame, flame

Heavpoot

Post by Heavpoot » January 14th, 2020, 6:54 pm

GUYTU6J wrote:
January 13th, 2020, 5:50 am
Heavpoot wrote:
January 13th, 2020, 3:03 am
One of the greatest Cellular Automata minds we have on this server, Hubi1857, has posted something highly important. This proves 2 things:
Hubi1857 wrote:
January 11th, 2020, 10:10 am
Back to Max Planck, cellular automata and the phases of the moving p4 oscillator that is Conways glider.

Code: Select all

..o...o.....o..o.o
o.o....oo.o.o...oo
.oo...oo...oo...o.
1. Spaceships are not strictly spaceships, but "moving oscillators". A p1 spaceship is now to be referred to as a "moving still life".

2. The "phalanx" (pattern described in the code block) is clearly the most important object to synthesize, not these silly still lives! I think we could get a 6G synthesis or if we even try, 5G synthesis.

Clearly with Hubi1857 on this forum, there is no point even doing CA research. I mean look at us, using terms from biology to describe things!
@Heavpoot, the great mind belongs to this very dedicated thread. Nowhere else deserves the honour.
Why thank you, GUYTU6J!
Now, I believe the next logical step is to do two things:
1: Rename "ConwayLife.com" to "Phalanx Research Center", as this forum should primarily be focused on quadrokinetic object based CA research (the study of 4 moving objects).

2: Let's use our search programs to find a glider synthesis for the phalanx. I believe we can probably do this in under 13G if we try, possibly even getting as low as 4G.

Thank you for your great contribution to CA, Hubi1857!

Hubi1857

Post by Hubi1857 » January 14th, 2020, 8:35 pm

Heavpoot wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 6:54 pm
Now, I believe the next logical step is to do two things:
1: Rename "ConwayLife.com" to "Phalanx Research Center", as this forum should primarily be focused on quadrokinetic object based CA research (the study of 4 moving objects).

2: Let's use our search programs to find a glider synthesis for the phalanx. I believe we can probably do this in under 13G if we try, possibly even getting as low as 4G.

Thank you for your great contribution to CA, Hubi1857!
LOL! Just you wait and see what happens once I started contaminating the rest of this splendid forum...

mniemiec

Post by mniemiec » January 14th, 2020, 9:15 pm

Hubi1857 wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 8:35 pm
LOL! Just you wait and see what happens once I started contaminating the rest of this splendid forum...
That has happened before; one individual named Gustavo comes to mind. I'm sure it will happen again. It never ends well.

I have just forced myself to read through this entire dumpster fire of a forum, which seems mostly to consist of juvenile personal attacks. The purpose of these forums is to foster intelligent discussion and a sense of community, and furtherance of the art. Constant bickering and telling people how stupid they (and most mathematicians too) are does none of these things. Many of the other people involved here have been making useful contributions to Life and the Life community for years, if not decades. Please improve your game. The first few messages at the very start were actually interesting, before this degenerated into constant bickering. We should return to that discussion.

Hubi1857

Post by Hubi1857 » January 14th, 2020, 10:06 pm

We live in the digital ages where an android driven smartphone is by orders of magnitude smarter than any single, individual human being, mathematicians, scientists, priests and polititians included!
mniemiec wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 9:15 pm
The first few messages at the very start were actually interesting, before this degenerated into constant bickering. We should return to that discussion.
Indeed!
But before we're back on topic, please remember:

I am still a simple newbie here.

It was hardly 3 weeks ago that I registered with this forum. I simply do not know the people, the manners, the background, the intentions of all of the other registered users. I do not even know the technical jargon, the geek-speak, the gobbledygook of the brain acrobats who dedicate their lives to Conways "Game of Life".

I might not be smart enough to be a mathematician but I definitely have been smart enough to become a skillful mathematical physicist with a much wider range of mathematics than those who just enjoy to watch the evolution of cellular automata.

And I am hardly able to do constructive work because you Conway geeks simply do not stop to force me to struggle against your ignorance, while I'm still doing nothing worse than playing im the Sandbox!

Moosey

Post by Moosey » January 14th, 2020, 10:11 pm

Hubi1857 wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 10:06 pm
And I am hardly able to do constructive work because you Conway geeks simply do not stop to force me to struggle against your ignorance, while I'm still doing nothing worse than playing im the Sandbox!
Maybe you should tell us what you mean by ignorance. Because without a definition it sounds like an insult.

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » January 14th, 2020, 10:18 pm

Hubi1857 wrote:

It was hardly 3 weeks ago that I registered with this forum. I simply do not know the people, the manners, the background, the intentions of all of the other registered users.

...And I am hardly able to do constructive work because you Conway geeks simply do not stop to force me to struggle against your ignorance, while I'm still doing nothing worse than playing im the Sandbox!
See this post for my best effort to provide an introduction to the forum and its denizens.

To be honest, your response to that message just now seemed completely irrelevant, which doesn't give me much hope that you'll be able to settle down and make contributions here.

Hubi1857

Post by Hubi1857 » January 14th, 2020, 10:32 pm

Moosey wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 10:11 pm

Maybe you should tell us what you mean by ignorance. Because without a definition it sounds like an insult.
I mean this:
dvgrn wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 9:54 pm
Hubi1857 wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 8:28 pm
Completely off topic, I know, but here you are @ExtinctionRebellion's first newsletter in 2o2o:

https://rebellion.earth/2020/01/14/news ... igh-water/
It wasn't just the last paragraph that was off topic, though. The entire post wandered off on a wild numerical tangent; it wasn't even slightly related to the Bounties topic where it was posted. So I've moved the post to the Sandbox. This kind of thing is maybe vaguely acceptable here, but on other boards, please try to post comments that continue the topic of the thread in some way.
Hubi1857 wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 8:35 pm
As mniemiec has mentioned in response to the above, successful "contamination" isn't too common. We're generally fairly polite around here, and the forum rules reflect that. Please read them over, and try to use these forums as they're intended to be used.

My apologies on behalf of anyone who may have pushed the boundaries of politeness a bit; it seemed as if they might have been responding in kind to what looked like disrespect on your part (the "you simply don't know what you're talking about" post).

That thread has certainly created a fine example of a painful downward spiral, but please try to avoid creating or participating in any more of those. Moosey's point was perfectly valid, and to an outside observer it didn't seem to be phrased disrespectfully. Your two posts just before Moosey's comment still say things like
Hubi1857 wrote:
January 10th, 2020, 3:50 am
Phase three, identical to Phase one,
displaced one cell each towards South and East directions
A glider's phase 3 is not identical to phase 1 in the way that your illustrations show; it's identical in shape, but reflected across a diagonal line, and the displacement you give is not correct. All of the following downward spiral seems to have been caused by your lack of acknowledgment of this point.
@dvgrn, moderator of the Sandbox, simply won't stop bothering me to death, until I stop posting and leave the forum!
Last edited by Hubi1857 on January 14th, 2020, 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moosey

Post by Moosey » January 14th, 2020, 10:34 pm

Hubi1857 wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 10:32 pm
@dvgrn, moderator of the Sandbox simply won't stop bothering me to death, until I stop posting and leave the forum!
Good lord, he's simply trying to help you understand what we're saying and why we're saying what we are.
Apparently you are simply taking anything you don't agree with and framing it as an attack.
So apparently helping you understand things and gently explaining things is ignorant?
Last edited by Moosey on January 14th, 2020, 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mniemiec

Post by mniemiec » January 14th, 2020, 10:38 pm

Hubi1857 wrote:

It was hardly 3 weeks ago that I registered with this forum. I simply do not know the people, the manners, the background, the intentions of all of the other registered users. I do not even know the technical jargon, the geek-speak, the gobbledygook of the brain acrobats who dedicate their lives to Conways "Game of Life".

I might not be smart enough to be a mathematician but I definitely have been smart enough to become a skillful mathematical physicist with a much wider range of mathematics than those who just enjoy to watch the evolution of cellular automata.

If you're unfamiliar with the people, manners, background, and intentions, the easiest way to find out is to watch and learn. Read threads about subjects you are interested in from beginning to end. Look at people whose post interest you, and read all their posts. Deduce manners by observing discussions all over the site.

Standard Netiquette, which has been the common custom on the internet for decades, is that before joining any internet forum, it is customary to observe the forum in operation for a while and only start interacting with it once you're familiar with its rules and customs. This is also custom and common sense in any real-life discussion venue as well.

Most of the people here do a lot of other things on these forums than "just play in the sandbox", which you would realize if you actually took the time to examine the state of the art of Life, rather than just complaining about it. I've personally been involved with life for over four decades. I once gave a paper at a CA conference where all but two of the presenters were professional mathematicians, most of whom had expertise in "a much wider range of mathematics than just watching the evolution of cellular automata". You boast of having more expertise than you show in this tiny window on this forum, while simultaneously being dismissive of the same expertise that may be possessed by others.

Moosey

Post by Moosey » January 14th, 2020, 10:41 pm

mniemiec wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 10:38 pm
You boast of having more expertise than you show in this tiny window on this forum, while simultaneously being dismissive of the same expertise that may be possessed by others.
For instance, there's a nook in this forum where people of my age or so (including yours truly) discuss extremely large numbers. Most of us who still go to school are very advanced in our math classes, so we aren't just interested in one specific part of math.

Perhaps now you understand why your calling us ignorant rubs me the wrong way?

mniemiec

Post by mniemiec » January 14th, 2020, 10:49 pm

Moosey wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 10:41 pm
For instance, there's a nook in this forum where people of my age or so (including yours truly) discuss extremely large numbers. Most of us who still go to school are very advanced in our math classes, so we aren't just interested in one specific part of math.
Exactly! After I discovered another one of Conway's pastimes (surreal numbers and combinatorial games), I happily wasted several years of my life playing with those, as well!

Even though I'm not a mathamatician, I am a math major, and I usually end up doing math of some sort or other, for recreation, on an almost daily basis.

Hubi1857

Post by Hubi1857 » January 14th, 2020, 10:55 pm

Well, as I already said:

I am forced all the time to struggle against not only the ignorance of most of mathematicians but of most of scientists, priests and polititians, also.

Any chances whatsoever that we'll be back on topic before I die?

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » January 14th, 2020, 11:08 pm

Hubi1857 wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 10:55 pm
Well, as I already said:

I am forced all the time to struggle against not only the ignorance of most of mathematicians but of most of scientists, priests and polititians, also.

Any chances whatsoever that we'll be back on topic before I die?
The chances will be much improved if you will please stop repeating that line, and instead say something that is on topic. Preferably this would be a calm response to a point that someone else has made.

mniemiec

Post by mniemiec » January 14th, 2020, 11:12 pm

Hubi1857 wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 10:55 pm
Well, as I already said:
Whenever anyone claims his own intellect exceeds that of almost everyone else on the planet, it either means one really is a singular intellectual genius (of the same order as Leonardo), or one is confusing intellect with ego. As long as such confusion exists, and is persistently put forward, it is difficult to discuss any other matters of substance.

Everybody goes through a phase in their life when they sincerely believe they are smarter than everyone else. Hopefully, most eventually grow out of it.

Moosey

Post by Moosey » January 15th, 2020, 7:39 am

I agree with dvgrn.

Hubi1857

Post by Hubi1857 » January 15th, 2020, 11:02 am

I don't.

Hubi1857

Post by Hubi1857 » January 15th, 2020, 11:04 am

It doesn't need Einsteins theory of relativity to imagine yourself riding along with the glider.