Difference between revisions of "Grandfather problem"
|Line 34:||Line 34:|
"A father, grandfather, but no
"A father, grandfather, but no --" patternalso been constructed by the same method<ref name="mtve4" />.
No further levels
No further levels found yet, but they almost do exist.
Revision as of 13:46, 14 December 2016
|View static image|
|Number of cells||298|
|Year of discovery||2016|
- Is there a configuration which has a father but no grandfather?
- Try setting the next cell on and off;
- Skip first level gardens of eden;
- Choose the minimum number of grandparents, where "minimum number" is not the exact number but a minimal distance between first and last.
The final configuration has a total of 17920 parents, but no grandparents.
- Run a search to find all 1-generation predecessors of mtve's pattern. Copy the cells that had the same setting in all solutions to the pattern.
- Mark all of unset cells with "X", increase the period by 1 and shift the pattern to the future by 1 generation. Set the outer cells to "X" in generation 0 and run another search, which eventually gives "Search finished: 0 solutions found".
It's possible to reduce the size of this pattern by removing some cells, and also some other patterns with the same property exist.
"A father and grandfather, but no great-grandfather" pattern, and a "father, grandfather and great-grandfather, but no great-great-grandfather" pattern, have also been constructed by the same method.
No further levels have been found yet, but they almost certainly do exist.
- mtve (May 5, 2016). "Re: Thread for your unsure discoveries". ConwayLife.com forums. Retrieved on June 22, 2016.
- mtve (May 6, 2016). "Re: Thread for your unsure discoveries". ConwayLife.com forums. Retrieved on June 22, 2016.
- Matthias Merzenich (Sokwe) (May 6, 2016). "Re: Thread for your unsure discoveries". ConwayLife.com forums. Retrieved on June 22, 2016.
- mtve (June 2016). "Garden Of Eden 2G". Retrieved on July 8, 2016.
- mtve (June 2016). "Garden Of Eden 3G". Retrieved on July 8, 2016.