Jump to navigation Jump to search
The following is a list of past news items that ran on the Main Page:
- A new oblique camelship, much smaller and lower population than the Gemini 3 variant from 2010, is completed by Chris Cain.
- The value of V, the lowest number for which an oscillator can be constructed with strict volatility 1 for that or any higher period, is reduced to 3,506,909 ticks.
- Adam P. Goucher sets another new record using the latest apgsearch by finding "Homer", a 16x16 methuselah with a lifespan of 42883 ticks.
- An update to slsparse allows it to recognize 45-degree MWSS-to-G converters in any orientation, and use unidirectional slow salvo recipes to construct them.
- Entity Valkyrie discovers a new period-13 FNG suppression mechanism, allowing the true period-52 glider gun to be reduced to less than a seventh of its previous size.
- A working 0E0P metacell is announced by Adam P. Goucher, along with several improvements to slmake, the program used to compile the metacell.
- An update to apgsearch sets another new record by finding a 16x16 methuselah with a lifespan of 42,100 ticks.
- A self-constructing "loopship", a new type of spaceship with a non-Geminoid design, is completed by Dave Greene.
- A periodic (p5 or p4) quinti-Snark is constructed by Tanner Jacobi, with the usual implications for reductions to the glider gun collection.
- apgluxe v4.56-ll2.0.5 and Catagolue add support for BSFKL rules.
- A record-setting 39,693-tick methuselah, Wilma, is discovered by Rob Liston using a custom FPGA soup searcher.
- An new LWSS synthesis by Chris Cain allows for LWSS, MWSS, and HWSS guns with pseudo periods as low as 18. 18 is the minimum for HWSS streams.)
- Hartmut Holzwart completes a two-dimensionally extensible wick-supporting pushalong with a minimum width of over a thousand cells.
- New Orthogonoids with periods 227 and 228 are constructed by Dave Greene, followed by a 225 version by Adam P. Goucher.
- A new period-14 oscillator, 34P14.1, is found by 'carybe'.
- Christoph R. discovers a new Fireship tagalong.
- Dave Greene completes the construction of two new HashLife-friendly Demonoids.
- A complex 140-glider synthesis of a c/2 signal traveling along a diagonal longN barge wire is completed by Martin Grant.
- A p4 bouncer reflector is constructed by Arie Paap. With the p9 reflector, this completes the set of colour-changing and colour-preserving reflectors with periods from 4 to 9.
- A p9 reflector is discovered by Matthias Merzenich and "carybe" based on Noam Elkies' bouncer reaction. This is the first reflector capable of reflecting a p27 glider stream.
- A true p33 gun is discovered by Arie Paap and Matthias Merzenich.
- A true p52 gun is completed by a collaborative effort.
- Dave Greene completes the construction of a stable line crosser with a repeat time of 501 ticks.
- The Minstrels, a group of tagalongs for Sir Robin, are discovered.
- The construction of a reverse caber-tosser shows that any glider-constructible object can be constructed with at most 35 gliders.
- A p3 reflector is discovered by Arie Paap based on Tanner Jacobi's bumper reaction. This is the first reflector capable of reflecting a p39 glider stream.
- Sir Robin, the first elementary knightship in Life, is discovered by Adam P. Goucher and Tom Rokicki.
- The 2-engine Cordership wins the 2017 Pattern of the Year competition, with Tanner's p46 taking second place.