|View animated image|
|View static image|
|Number of cells||26|
|Bounding box||17 × 20|
|Discovered by||Nicolay Beluchenko|
|Year of discovery||2009|
Beluchenko's p40 is a period-40 oscillator discovered by Nicolay Beluchenko on March 4, 2009. In terms of its 26 cells, it is the smallest known period 40 oscillator. Blocks can be shared: the same block can be hassled with two copies of the oscillator at a displacement of half the period (or other nearby timings). The shared block is hassled with a displacement of one period.
Two or four copies can hassle a blinker at p40 or p80, and four copies can hassle a blinker at p160. In December 2020, praosylen discovered that two copies of it and two additional blocks can hassle an I-heptomino and two other blocks based on reactions found by Tanner Jacobi and wwei23.
The obvious spark that the object emits is an obo! spark, which has very high clearance. Sometimes, it can be backed up one or two generations for a domino spark (two-cell leading edge) or a more complex spark, but this doesn't always work, as it's not a simple domino.
21 generations after the obo! generation (labeled generation 20 in the LifeViewer in the infobox), there is a two-cell leading edge in a completely different location from the obo! spark. Despite being attached to the rest of the oscillator, it can be used as functionally equivalent to a plain domino spark, although with lower clearance.
An 8-glider synthesis of Beluchenko's p40 was found by Carson Cheng in March 2023. Before that, at least three different 10-glider syntheses were known (a synthesis with intermediate constellation xs20_66x696zzzy2696x66, a synthesis with intermediate constellation xs10_25520oo, and a single-step synthesis). An earlier 30-glider synthesis can be found in Mark Niemiec's database.
- Jason Summers' jslife pattern collection. Retrieved on June 25, 2009.
- praosylen (April 12, 2016). Re: Soup search results (discussion thread) at the ConwayLife.com forums
- Jason Summers' jslife pattern collection. Retrieved on December 16, 2020.
- praosylen (December 16, 2020). Re: Oscillator Discussion Thread (discussion thread) at the ConwayLife.com forums
- Tanner Jacobi (December 16, 2020). Re: Oscillator Discussion Thread (discussion thread) at the ConwayLife.com forums
- wwei23 (December 16, 2020). Re: Oscillator Discussion Thread (discussion thread) at the ConwayLife.com forums
- Carson Cheng (March 25, 2023). Re: Synthesising Oscillators (discussion thread) at the ConwayLife.com forums
- shinjuku (#4001104233) (March 25, 2023). Job triggered by Adam P. Goucher at GitLab Catagolue project.
- xp40_33zxs48g69gvzx3021zy833 (archived copy)
- shinjuku (#3962004812) (March 19, 2023). Job triggered by Adam P. Goucher at GitLab Catagolue project.
- 2 Period-40 oscillators at Mark D. Niemiec's Life Page (download pattern file: lg/26p40-1.rle)
- New Oscillators at Game of Life News. Posted by Heinrich Koenig on May 31, 2009.
- New Oscillators at Game of Life News. Posted by Heinrich Koenig on April 14, 2009.
- Beluchenko's p40 at Adam P. Goucher's Catagolue
- List of semi-natural Beluchenko's p40 stator variants (Catagolue)
- 26P40.1 at Heinrich Koenig's Game of Life Object Catalogs