|View animated image|
|View static image|
|Pattern type|| Tagalong|
|Number of cells||25|
|Discovered by||Jason Summers|
|Year of discovery||2000|
Crab (or quarter) is a c/4 diagonal spaceship that was found by Jason Summers in September 2000. It is the smallest known diagonal spaceship other than the glider and it consists of two gliders pulling a tagalong.
Use as a tubstretcher
Due to the diagonal glide symmetry and by simple inspection, the spaceship can easily be made to stretch two tub wicks simultaneously, via a domino spark repeatedly adding units to a tub or long^N barge. Additional non-stretching variants are possible by adding tub-eating c/4 spaceships at the back of the chain(s), at any distance. Such a double wickstretcher was used as the basis for the Speed Demonoid and the self-synthesizing oblique loopship.
|The crab as a tubstretcher|
(click above to open LifeViewer)
RLE: here Plaintext: here
Martin Grant found a synthesis for crab with the help of Tanner Jacobi and Brett Berger on December 26, 2014. The cost has since been reduced several times, most recently to 14 gliders by Tanner Jacobi on August 16, 2020.
- "quarter". The Life Lexicon. Stephen Silver.
- Heinrich Koenig (August 5, 2005). "New c/4 Diagonal Tubstretcher". Game of Life News. Retrieved on May 9, 2009.
- Martin Grant (December 26, 2014). "Re: How about a crab synthesis?". Retrieved on December 26, 2014.
- Tanner Jacobi (August 16, 2020). "Re: One Glider Seeds". Retrieved on August 16, 2020.
- 25P4H1V1.1 at Heinrich Koenig's Game of Life Object Catalogs