A highway robber is any mechanism that can retrieve a signal from a spaceship lane while allowing spaceships on nearby lanes (even those a single lane away) to pass by unaffected. In practice the spaceship is generally a glider. The spaceship is removed from the lane in question, an output signal is generated elsewhere, and the highway robber returns to its original state. A competent highway robber does not affect spaceships even on the lane adjacent to the affected spaceship stream, except perhaps during the highway robber's recovery period.
A stable highway robber with repeat time 878 was assembled by Chris Cain in 2016, with an update by Entity Valkyrie in January 2019 to simplify the extraction of the output signal. A simpler highway robber with improved clearance and repeat time 876 was constructed by Louis-François Handfield in May 2020, with subsequent improvements made by Goldtiger997. The next version made use of the Bandersnatch to reduce the repeat time to 863 ticks. On June 23, Goldtiger997 posted a larger staged recovery highway robber with a repeat time of 742 ticks.
|A stable highway robber with 742-tick repeat time,|
allowing gliders to pass by on the same lane 47+ ticks after
the activating glider. There are three possible glider outputs,
but two of them are awkwardly close to other glider lanes.
(click above to open LifeViewer)
RLE: here Plaintext: here
- Dave Greene (January 22, 2007). "Stable pseudo-Heisenburp device and other P1 wiring projects". Retrieved on December 2, 2018.
- Chris Cain (March 28, 2015). "Re: The Hunting of the New Herschel Conduits". Retrieved on December 2, 2018.
- Entity Valkyrie (January 10, 2019). "RLE:Highwayrobber".
- Louis-François Handfield (May 25, 2020). "Re: Highway robber challenge". Retrieved on May 25, 2020.
- Goldtiger997 (May 25, 2020). Re: Highway robber challenge (discussion thread) at the ConwayLife.com forums
- Goldtiger997 (June 5, 2020). Re: Highway robber challenge (discussion thread) at the ConwayLife.com forums
- Goldtiger997 (June 23, 2020). Re: Highway robber challenge (discussion thread) at the ConwayLife.com forums