This week's featured article
|New gun 1, or originally simply "new gun", is a period-46 gun discovered by Bill Gosper in 1971. It was the second basic gun to be found, the first being the Gosper glider gun. A number of other ways of constructing a gun from two twin bees shuttles have since been discovered.
In the news
- September 15-28: Collaborative progress on enormously long-lived diehards continues on the "engineered diehards" thread, passing the threshold on September 28 of 11^^^3 = 11 ^^ (11 ^^ 11) ticks (where ^^ is the operator for tetration, i.e., iterated exponentiation).
- September 24: Carson Cheng discovers a period-76 shuttle for a pair of pi-heptominoes which, at 52 cells, is the smallest known oscillator of this period.
- September 23: Evin discovers compact, stable glider pulse dividers with new period multipliers of 5, 11, 12, and 4+6n
- September 18: Mitchell Riley discovers 86P107, the first engine-based period-107 oscillator, and the smallest known oscillator of that period.
- September 9: Hartmut Holzwart constructs a new type of c/2 orthogonal agar ship.
- September 6: Keith Amling completes a period-6 c/3 orthogonal ship containing a simple wick.
- September 4: 400spartans constructs a 278-cell unconstructible still life, smaller in population and bounding box than the previous minimum 306-cell version.
- September 1: The 2022 Pattern of the Year competition concludes with a tie for first place between the explicit 15-glider reverse caber-tosser and the unsynthesizable and limited-ancestor objects.
|The LifeWiki contains one of the most comprehensive catalogues of patterns available on the internet. Within it you will find:
Did you know...
- ... that as of 2022, no finite elementary replicators have been found in Life?
- ... that while multiple c/12 diagonal spaceships are known, all of them actually travel at some multiple of 8c/96 diagonal - no pure c/12 diagonal technology is known?
- ... that the first p23 oscillator, David Hilbert, was created as a modification of a "troll" pattern posted a week earlier?
- ... that exactly two years after a fake loafer-producing soup was posted to the forums on April Fools' Day, a real soup was found on April 1, 2020?
- ... patterns have been constructed whose fate is currently unknown (based on the twin primes and Collatz conjectures)?
- ... a pattern of 44 cells exists whose population grows by exactly one cell each generation?
- ... it is possible to send a signal from one side to the other of an infinite diagonal line of cells without destroying the line?
- ... there are 'Heisenburp' reactions which can detect the passage of a glider without affecting it in any way?
- ... Corderships can be constructed using individual switch engines placed arbitrarily far from each other, that will still support each other using intermediary gliders and stable objects?
- ... fuses can be made that burn arbitrarily slowly, based on sending spaceships back and forth between two rows of stable objects?