This week's featured article
|A switch engine is a methuselah that was found by Charles Corderman in 1971. It is unstable by itself, but it can be used to make c/12 diagonal puffers and spaceships.
There are two basic types of stabilized switch engine, both of which were also found by Charles Corderman: the period 288 block-laying switch engine (the more common of the two) and period 384 glider-producing switch engine. These two puffers are the most natural infinite growth patterns in Life, being by far the most common ones to occur from non-symmetric random starting patterns.
In the news
- February 26: Keith Amling discovers a period-6 c/2 greystretcher in which the stripes are bounded by coiled snakes.
- February 24: P1GG completes a non-period-doubling stabilization of iNoMed's p19 partial, which also allows for a stabilization of the wick. The result is goban, the second known period-19 oscillator. EvinZL notes that there are two variants with slightly different connection points.
- February 23: Period1GliderGun (P1GG) discovers that a period-19 partial result by iNoMed can be completed with a period-doubling catalyst, giving a period-38 oscillator. May13 notices that the p19 component can be extended to form a wick.
- February 23: Keith Amling discovers two different c/2 orthogonal stretchers for a pair of coiled snakes.
- February 18: Period1GliderGun notices that a previously unrecognized pattern by Mitchell Riley from September 7, 2022 is actually a complete period-171 oscillator and is in fact the smallest known p171 oscillator.
- January 29-February 2: Keith Amling, with some help from Matthias Merzenich, discovers new c/4 diagonal spaceships (, , ) capable of eating a variety of objects including ships, blocks, boats, beacons, beehives, barges, loaves, tubs, toads, and mangoes.
- January 26-28: Goldtiger997 completes a 259-glider synthesis of 77P6H1V1, making it the first c/6 diagonal spaceship to be synthesized.
- January 22: iNoMed discovers the first true period-53 glider gun based on a partial result by goldenratio.
- January 20: Adam P. Goucher proves that every finite phoenix has period 2.
- January 14-15: Keith Amling discovers c/4 diagonal eaters for blocks and blinkers and uses the block eater to construct the first period-40 c/4 diagonal ship. David Bell and May13 use these to reduce the p72, p80, and p116 rakes. Matthias Merzenich notices that an incidental reaction in the blinker eater allows a known ship to eat a glider stream and can also be used to complete the first c/4 diagonal ships of periods 28, 32, and 36.
Did you know...
- ... that a series of increasingly larger greyships, starting with Canada Grey, can all be constructed incrementally by colliding gliders with a gradually accreting still life target?
- ... that oblique puffers and rakes based on elementary spaceships were unknown in Conway's Life until Dylan Chen and Adam P. Goucher constructed combinations of sprayer knightships in May 2021?
- ... that a configuration of two ponds and two blocks recovers back to its original position when sparked in a certain way, allowing for the creation of some period multipliers?
- ... that the third-smallest unique-period gun (at the time) was discovered just six hours after the second-smallest unique-period gun, despite the two being completely unrelated?
- ... that despite 22P36 having been known since 1995, one half of it was not generalized to a versatile traffic stop catalyst until 26 years later?
- ... that Merzenich's p64 and 32P21 are both hassling two beehives and two R-pentominoes, and 56P27 hassles four of each?
- ... that a 56-cell pattern based on the p129 R-pentomino hassler is the smallest known periodic pattern by population that is isotropically endemic to Conway's Life?
- ... that the single seldom-used extra transition of Pedestrian Life (B38/S23) from Life leads to several non-pedestrian linear growth patterns, including a reflectorless rotating glider gun, a set of (5,2)c/190 technology and a messy oblique p1884 puffer?
- ... that there are two unrelated three-stage composite Herschel conduits with systematic label L156 and repeat time 62 ticks (HLx69R+RF28B+BFx59H and HL75P+PF35W+WFx46H)?
- ... that the 39-cell LWSS-on-LWSS variant of the Schick engine was the smallest known period-12 spaceship for about fifty years, until the discovery of 35P12H6V0 in February 2022?
|The LifeWiki contains one of the most comprehensive catalogues of patterns available on the internet. Within it you will find: