|View animated image|
|View static image|
|Number of cells||11|
|Bounding box||6 × 4|
|Discovered by||John Conway|
|Year of discovery||1970|
The middleweight spaceship (commonly abbreviated to MWSS) or (rarely) medium fish is the third most common spaceship after the glider and lightweight spaceship. It was found by John Conway in 1970 and travels at c/2 orthogonally. It can support various non-standard components, such as pushalong 1.
There is a three-object one-glider seed for the middleweight spaceship, shown below; the constellation of three blocks itself can be constructed with four gliders, thus providing a 5-glider synthesis for the MWSS. There are also 14 matches for the middleweight spaceship in the octo3obj database.
- See also: List of common spaceships
- Lightweight spaceship, Heavyweight spaceship
- LWSS on MWSS 1, MWSS on MWSS 1, MWSS on HWSS 1
- Coe ship
- Middleweight emulator
- Middleweight volcano
- Fake xWSS
- Robert Wainwright (September 1971). Lifeline, vol 3, page 6.
- The 1 eleven-bit spaceship at Mark D. Niemiec's Life Page (download pattern file: ss/11mw.rle)
- codeholic (August 25, 2013). Re: Blockic Seeds (discussion thread) at the ConwayLife.com forums
- xs12_33z66y0cc at Adam P. Goucher's Catagolue
- Dave Greene (October 21, 2022). Re: Octohash fingerprints (discussion thread) at the ConwayLife.com forums
- "Spontaneous appeared Spaceships out of Random Dust". Achim Flammenkamp (December 9, 1995). Retrieved on August 18, 2011.
- Adam P. Goucher. "Statistics". Catagolue. Retrieved on June 24, 2016.
- There is a collision with two escaping middleweight spaceships. The headerless RLE is 8b2o$8b2o5$9b2o$5b2o2b2o$5b2o$3o$5bo$4b2o$4bobo!