|View animated image|
|View static image|
|Number of cells||12|
|Bounding box||8 × 8|
|Discovered by||MIT group|
|Year of discovery||1971|
- This article is about the 12-cell oscillator. For the general concept, see Phoenix.
Phoenix 1 (or flip-flops) is a period-2 oscillator that was discovered by the MIT group no later than September 1971. It is the smallest known phoenix as well as the first discovered phoenix, and is thus sometimes simply referred to as the phoenix.
Phoenix 1 consists of four identical three-cell segments flutter chained in a loop. Other arrangements are possible, to generate larger period 2 phoenices as shown below. A single copy of this rotor can also be supported by a stator: this is an oscillator known as the griddle. The same rotor segment also appears in by flops and why not.
Despite its small size, it had not shown up naturally in soup until October 5, 2015, making it the last 12-bit object to appear naturally; and another soup turned up with this object on October 23. Both of these soups were found by Tomas Rokicki using apgsearch.
In even 90° rotational symmetry (C4_4), it is much more common, being the thirty-first most common object and the fourth most common period-2 oscillator according to Catagolue.
- Main article: List of common oscillators
Information on this oscillator's natural occurrence with respect to other naturally-occurring patterns is currently unknown.
Note that this section only concerns absolute natural occurrence - symmetric starting configurations are only counted as semi-natural.
Phoenix 1 is trivial to extend, yielding an infinite family of volatility-1 oscillators, an example shown below.
|An extension of phoenix 1 (click above to open LifeViewer)|
RLE: here Plaintext: here
- "Flip-flops". The Life Lexicon. Stephen Silver. Retrieved on June 21, 2011.
- Dean Hickerson's oscillator stamp collection. Retrieved on March 14, 2020.
- Robert Wainwright (September 1971). Lifeline, vol 3, page 3.
- Adam P. Goucher (October 5, 2015). Re: Soup search results (discussion thread) at the ConwayLife.com forums
- Billabob (October 23, 2015). Re: Soup search results (discussion thread) at the ConwayLife.com forums
- Martin Grant (March 1, 2015). Re: 4 glider syntheses (discussion thread) at the ConwayLife.com forums
- Phoenix 1 at the Life Lexicon
- Phoenix at Adam P. Goucher's Catagolue
- Phoenix 1 at Mark D. Niemiec's Life Page
- 12P2.6 at Heinrich Koenig's Game of Life Object Catalogs