|View animated image|
|View static image|
|Pattern type|| Tagalong|
|Number of cells||39|
|Bounding box||20 × 11|
|Discovered by||Paul Schick|
|Year of discovery||1972|
The Schick engine (or Schick ship) can refer to one of four period-12 c/2 orthogonal spaceships which involve a flotilla of two standard spaceships pulling a period-12 tagalong. The term "Schick engine" may alternatively be used to refer to the tagalong alone, separately from the two spaceships supporting it.
This tagalong was found by Paul Schick in 1972. For about fifty years the 39-cell LWSS-on-LWSS variant of the Schick engine was the smallest known period-12 spaceship in terms of population, until it was displaced by the 35-cell 35P12H6V0 in February 2022.
The four possible spaceship types are displayed in a table below, with the tagalong portion highlighted in green.
- Main article: List of common spaceships
A lightweight Schick engine first appeared naturally on February 12th, 2019, having previously emerged (along with its middleweight and heavyweight variants) from symmetric soups on Catagolue. A second natural Schick engine appeared in October 2020.
Notably, a middleweight Schick engine appeared semi-naturally on February 13th, 2022, in the symmetry C2_2, which is a rotational symmetry and thus would not be predisposed to produce such an object. It has yet to occur naturally.
|Image||Name||Min. population||Supporting flotilla||apgcode||Cost in gliders|
|Lightweight Schick engine||39||LWSS on LWSS (pseudo)||xq12_fh1i0i1hfzw8sms8zxfjf||9|
|Middleweight Schick engine||42||MWSS on MWSS 1||xq12_v1120211vz01gpcpg1zxv7vzy01||11|
|Heavyweight Schick engine||44||HWSS on HWSS 1||xq12_v1120211vz120ioi021zw1vev1zx121||14|
|Asymmetric Schick engine||42||LWSS on HWSS 2||xq12_xupuzw27d72zu10109ghuz3221||11|
- Robert Wainwright (March 1973). Lifeline, vol 9, page 5.
- Adam P. Goucher (February 12, 2019). Re: Soup search results (discussion thread) at the ConwayLife.com forums
- Richard Schank (December 14, 2014). Re: Soup search results (discussion thread) at the ConwayLife.com forums
- Richard Schank (March 10, 2015). Re: Soup search results (discussion thread) at the ConwayLife.com forums
- gmc_nxtman (March 20, 2016). Re: Soup search results (discussion thread) at the ConwayLife.com forums
- bubblegum (October 5, 2020). Re: Soup search results (discussion thread) at the ConwayLife.com forums
- dani (February 13, 2022). Re: Soup search results (discussion thread) at the ConwayLife.com forums
- Robert Wainwright (September 1973). Lifeline, vol 11, page 19.
- Schick engine at the Life Lexicon
- Life (B3/S23) at David Eppstein's Glider Database
- 39P12H6V0.1 at Heinrich Koenig's Game of Life Object Catalogs
- "Puffers". Game of Life Information, Class 4 Objects Catalog, Type B -- Puffer Trains.