|View animated image|
|View static image|
|Number of cells||9|
|Rotor type||Pole 3|
|Discovered by||MIT group|
|Year of discovery||1970|
The tripole is the barberpole of length 3.
The tripole is about the fourteenth most common naturally-occurring oscillator in Achim Flammenkamp's census, being less common than quadpole tie ship but more common than mazing. It is the fourteenth most common oscillator on Adam P. Goucher's Catagolue. However, in diagonal symmetries, including 8-fold symmetries, the tripole is more more common than both the bipole and quadpole.
Tanner Jacobi improved the previous 7-glider synthesis to 6 gliders on November 12, 2014. Martin Grant found an alternative 6-glider edge-shooting recipe on June 23, 2017. goldenratio found a 5-glider synthesis in September 2020.
- Achim Flammenkamp (September 7, 2004). "Most seen natural occurring ash objects in Game of Life". Retrieved on January 15, 2009.
- Tanner Jacobi (November 12, 2014). Re: Soup search results (discussion thread) at the ConwayLife.com forums
- Martin Grant (June 23, 2017). Re: Synthesising Oscillators (discussion thread) at the ConwayLife.com forums
- Ian07 (September 21, 2020). Re: Randomly enumerating glider syntheses (discussion thread) at the ConwayLife.com forums
- 9P2.1 at Heinrich Koenig's Game of Life Object Catalogs