Hi there, and welcome to LifeWiki! In answer to your question on my talk page, some of the LifeWiki conventions are described on the LifeWiki:Style guide page, and in particular the "pattern names should be in lowercase" thing is described at LifeWiki:Spelling. LifeWiki is still very new though so a lot of conventions and whatnot haven't been formally written down, and unfortunately the LifeWiki procedures and guidelines pages are still a bit of a mess. My best advice right now is to just use your best judgment and you'll pick it up in no time. The guidelines are by no means set it stone, and if you have recommendations for what guidelines should be, then you're of course more than welcome to suggest them.
Also, thanks for your contributions to the spaceship article, it's already looking a lot better. I have plans to do something similar with the oscillator article as well, as it's a bit of a mess right now. Nathaniel 18:55, 18 April 2009 (UTC)
- Thanks, a lot of the Lexicon's pages could be made to redirects. I'll look into it tomorrow.
~Sokwe 06:55, 16 December 2009 (UTC)
p60 glider shuttle
When you mention the p60 glider shuttle on your userpage, are you referring to a shuttle creating gliders or simply a glider bouncing back and forth? If you mean the former, could I have the pattern? I am trying to make a p60 LWSS gun for the Star gate, and I plan on using glider synthesis to create the LWSSes. Thanks, The last username left 04:44, 29 December 2009 (UTC)
- Never mind, I just realised that Star gate contains a p60 gun. I'll catalogue it. The last username left 23:53, 29 December 2009 (UTC)
User Merge and Delete
Question about Oscillator page maintenance
Hello Sokwe. I'm new to this wiki and have a few questions regarding some recent edits/revisions that you made. The criteria for which oscillators may be listed on the "smallest oscillator" table seems arbitrary and inconsistent. Recently I noticed that 48P31 could interact non-trivially with many oscillators, which I am now aware that many of these interactions were likely noticed by many individuals prior to me. I decided to replace P124 lumps of muck hassler on the smallest oscillator table with the much smaller T-nosed p4 on 48P31, which quickly lead to you deleting the entry for P124 entirely. I also added a few other oscillators of various periods which where also deleted from the table. My question is as follows: What oscillators should and shouldn't be listed in this particular table. The LifeWiki notability guidelines state that a pattern is considered notable if "It currently holds, or at one point held, a record of some kind." which i believe these patterns do (or at least improved upon the entries currently listed in the table). To avoid repetitive edits and reversions of this table can you clearly state what oscillators, periods, and types of oscillator interactions meet the notability guidelines. I appreciate your patience in answering my questions. Jsorr 14:06, 17 September 2011 (CDT)
- I deleted the the p124 oscillator from the list because it is not the smallest known non-trivial period-124 oscillator. As I mentioned at Talk:T-nosed_p4_on_48P31, there are smaller sparkers that can interact with the p31 oscillator. Here are the smallest known non-trivial oscillators with periods of 31n for 2<n<7:
x = 134, y = 27, rule = B3/S23 7b2obo2bob2o27b2obo2bob2o25b2obo2bob2o28b2obo2bob2o$2o4bo2bo4bo2bo4b2o 13b2o4bo2bo4bo2bo4b2o11b2o4bo2bo4bo2bo4b2o14b2o4bo2bo4bo2bo4b2o$2o5bob o4bobo5b2o13b2o5bobo4bobo5b2o11b2o5bobo4bobo5b2o14b2o5bobo4bobo5b2o$8b o6bo29bo6bo27bo6bo30bo6bo6$8bo6bo29bo6bo27bo6bo30bo6bo$2o5bobo4bobo5b 2o13b2o5bobo4bobo5b2o11b2o5bobo4bobo5b2o14b2o5bobo4bobo5b2o$2o4bo2bo4b o2bo4b2o13b2o4bo2bo4bo2bo4b2o11b2o4bo2bo4bo2bo4b2o14b2o4bo2bo4bo2bo4b 2o$7b2obo2bob2o27b2obo2bob2o25b2obo2bob2o28b2obo2bob2o6$45bo34b2o$9b3o 32bob2o31bo2bo33b2o$13bo34bo29bo4bo34bob2o$8bo4bo30bo2bobo27bo6bo29bo 2bo2b2o$12bo33bo2bo27bo6bo29bobo$9b2o36b2o29bo4bo31bo$9bo69bo2bo$9bo 70b2o33b2o$9bo105b2o!
- I did not add these patterns to the list because I had no intention of adding their pages at this time. Also, the p124 lumps of muck hassler also should not have been on the list (this was probably my fault, as I included this in my post at Talk:Oscillator). Unfortunately, there are still a few errors in the list which I have yet to correct.
~Sokwe 15:38, 17 September 2011 (CDT)
There's a pile of spam pages to delete... JWatCCI 17:37, 4 April 2014 (UTC)
Mark Niemiec's page
- Thanks. I've updated the link.
~Sokwe 22:10, 24 March 2016 (UTC)
Howdy! The LifeWiki's lacked a central discussion page so far, so I've gone ahead and created the LifeWiki:Tiki bar as a friendly place where the community can get together to discuss things in a relaxed atmosphere. You're cordially invited to join in!
Creating .png and .gif images in Golly
How exactly do you do this? I remember one of the Help pages on the wiki said to use "Print Screen" or some other key in Golly but nothing seems to happen when I press it. Maybe it only works in an earlier version? Ian07 (talk) 22:52, 9 December 2019 (UTC)
- I use the giffer python script for Golly to create animated gifs. For png I make a 1-generation 1-frame gif, open it in some picture editor, and save it as a png.
~Sokwe 03:31, 10 December 2019 (UTC)