Mikipedia clutter

For discussion directly related to LifeWiki.
confocaloid

Re: Mikipedia clutter

Post by confocaloid » February 15th, 2024, 5:26 am

Haycat2009 wrote:
February 15th, 2024, 5:23 am
Where is the Mikipedia website?
Already answered several posts up the thread
127:1 B3/S234c User:Confocal/R (isotropic CA, incomplete)
Unlikely events happen.
My silence does not imply agreement, nor indifference. If I disagreed with something in the past, then please do not construe my silence as something that could change that.

confocaloid

Re: Mikipedia

Post by confocaloid » March 5th, 2024, 8:09 pm

well, some recent changes are beginning to look like Mikipedia 2.0 to me

o https://conwaylife.com/w/index.php?oldid=146279 "skeleton stuck inside wall 10 hours is a rule with a rulestring of B34i/S245 [...]"
o https://conwaylife.com/w/index.php?oldid=146276 "[...] b3i/b89f: it appears this rule consists entirely of bill gosper on his couch [...]"
o https://conwaylife.com/w/index.php?oldid=146150 "the axolotlpocalypse, also known as the pond on eater 1 on eater 1 on eater 1 on eater 1 on bi-block on bi-block on ship siamese long^12 ship siamese ship siamese ship siamese ship siamese boat on eater 1 on eater 1 on eater 1 on eater 1 on bi-block on bi-block on mango on mango on beehive on bi-block on bi-block on bi-block on bi-block on bi-block on bi-block on block on pond on pond on pond on beehive on beehive on beehive on beehive on tub on bi-block on block is a 286-cell still life [...]"
o https://conwaylife.com/w/index.php?oldid=146178 axolotl squishmallow hexomino (somewhat CA-related)
o https://conwaylife.com/w/index.php?oldid=146562 unclear how this one is supposed to be CA-related
Unlikely events happen.
My silence does not imply agreement, nor indifference. If I disagreed with something in the past, then please do not construe my silence as something that could change that.

hotdogPi

Post by hotdogPi » March 6th, 2024, 8:34 am

Worse, that last one says he's planning on creating ten more redirects for misspellings of "index" (three already exist).
User:HotdogPi/My discoveries

Periods discovered: 5-16,⑱,⑳G,㉑G,㉒㉔㉕,㉗-㉛,㉜SG,㉞㉟㊱㊳㊵㊷㊹㊺㊽㊿,54G,55G,56,57G,60,62-66,68,70,73,74S,75,76S,80,84,88,90,96
100,02S,06,08,10,12,14G,16,17G,20,26G,28,38,44,47,48,54,56,72,74,80,92,96S

S: SKOP
G: gun

hotcrystal0

Re: Mikipedia

Post by hotcrystal0 » March 6th, 2024, 8:01 pm

confocaloid wrote:
March 5th, 2024, 8:09 pm
well, some recent changes are beginning to look like Mikipedia 2.0 to me

o https://conwaylife.com/w/index.php?oldid=146279 "skeleton stuck inside wall 10 hours is a rule with a rulestring of B34i/S245 [...]"
o https://conwaylife.com/w/index.php?oldid=146276 "[...] b3i/b89f: it appears this rule consists entirely of bill gosper on his couch [...]"
o https://conwaylife.com/w/index.php?oldid=146150 "the axolotlpocalypse, also known as the pond on eater 1 on eater 1 on eater 1 on eater 1 on bi-block on bi-block on ship siamese long^12 ship siamese ship siamese ship siamese ship siamese boat on eater 1 on eater 1 on eater 1 on eater 1 on bi-block on bi-block on mango on mango on beehive on bi-block on bi-block on bi-block on bi-block on bi-block on bi-block on block on pond on pond on pond on beehive on beehive on beehive on beehive on tub on bi-block on block is a 286-cell still life [...]"
o https://conwaylife.com/w/index.php?oldid=146178 axolotl squishmallow hexomino (somewhat CA-related)
o https://conwaylife.com/w/index.php?oldid=146562 unclear how this one is supposed to be CA-related
There's another one.

Code: Select all

x = 192, y = 53, rule = B3/S23
33$42b4o$41b6o$40b2ob4o$41b2o3$41b2o$39bo6bo$38bo8bo$38bo8bo$38b9o3$42b
4o$41b6o$40b2ob4o$41b2o!

Haycat2009

Post by Haycat2009 » March 7th, 2024, 2:07 am

hotdogPi wrote:
March 6th, 2024, 8:34 am
Worse, that last one says he's planning on creating ten more redirects for misspellings of "index" (three already exist).
I’m going to have a long time trying to add these rule pages to Dronebetter’s list since I was banhammered into next week. It’s starting to look like a daunting task.

Also, I would love the know what is notable about the large SLs.
~ Haycat Durnak, a hard-working editor
Also, support Conway and Friends story mode!
I mean no harm to those who have tested me. But do not take this for granted.

confocaloid

Post by confocaloid » March 7th, 2024, 2:45 am

Trying to add those pages to some other list may not be a good idea though. Unless the rules are actually of interest to others and there are enough results to have something to present/discuss.
Haycat2009 wrote:
March 7th, 2024, 2:07 am
Also, I would love the know what is notable about the large SLs.
Not much, beyond the summaries (e.g. counts per population / per bounding box) and knowing which have unique uses (e.g. as catalysts or parts of catalysts, or as ways to initiate useful reactions in glider syntheses, etc.)
hotdogPi wrote:
March 6th, 2024, 8:34 am
Worse, that last one says he's planning on creating ten more redirects for misspellings of "index" [...]
Eleven (not that that would change the big picture).
Unlikely events happen.

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » March 7th, 2024, 8:59 am

Yeah, DroneBetter's user-page list seems like a good idea -- there's all kinds of interesting stuff hidden away on various people's user pages, and sometimes it can be hard to remember where it is or who set up a specific information page.

But there's certainly no need to keep that list up to date with every one of tommyaweosme's changes. It seems like tommyaweosme is filling up the Recent Changes list plenty enough already; if every new subpage triggers a corresponding change to DroneBetter's list right away, then that just increases the clutter on Recent Changes.

If the User:tommyaweosme list got updated every month or two, or every year or two, that would be plenty in my opinion. In the meantime, one quick update under the User:tommyaweosme section should take care of the problem, if it just says, e.g., "The latest update to this part of the list was March xx, 2024: this material is being updated rapidly and should not be expected to remain up to date. "

(Alternatively, I think I remember DroneBetter replacing a hard-coded list of pages with some equivalent template trickery, relatively recently. Maybe that trick would work here?)

I've been keeping an eye on tommyaweosme's edits to see if they are going to become a bigger problem. So far the Mikipedia-like stuff has been confined to User:Tommyaweosme and hasn't shown any sign of becoming a spreading plague like the Mikipedia idea turned out to be.

In a case like this where a newcomer seems to have maybe gotten the wrong impression about what the LifeWiki is for, and is continuing a pattern of flooding Recent Changes and creating stuff that maybe amounts to "minor but persistent mis-use", the first move doesn't have to be a moderator's.

Has anyone considered talking to tommyaweosme directly? It's not clear that they'll be likely to see this forum thread. There's even a helpful user talk page created recently.

I've been hoping someone would put in the standard "Welcome to the community!" message, and maybe add a link to this discussion -- seems like that would be the polite thing to do.

Haycat2009

Post by Haycat2009 » March 11th, 2024, 1:38 am

dvgrn wrote:
March 7th, 2024, 8:59 am
(Alternatively, I think I remember DroneBetter replacing a hard-coded list of pages with some equivalent template trickery, relatively recently. Maybe that trick would work here?)
That would only work if tommyawoesome had put an OCA prefix, and not all of them are rules (11 index mispellings). Since you suggested to leave a greeting message, why not be a role model and get the ball rolling? I am sure others will follow.
~ Haycat Durnak, a hard-working editor
Also, support Conway and Friends story mode!
I mean no harm to those who have tested me. But do not take this for granted.

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » March 11th, 2024, 8:51 am

Haycat2009 wrote:
March 11th, 2024, 1:38 am
Since you suggested to leave a greeting message, why not be a role model and get the ball rolling? I am sure others will follow.
Well, remember that the forums and the LifeWiki are only "reluctantly moderated".

The members of the community are the people run the forums and the LifeWiki, and the idea is that everyone is really supposed to be capable of solving almost all of their own problems, without any heavy-handed intervention from the admin/mod team.

Moderators take care of the occasional spammer infestation, moving the occasional newcomer post from one thread to another when it's been badly mis-classified, maybe step in and say something when a newcomer gets the wrong idea about how things work around here and won't listen to advice from the rest of the community.

But first there has to be advice from the rest of the community. Moderators aren't the first line of defense in these cases. Everybody else is just as capable of being role models as moderators are.

Complaints about somebody's LifeWiki edits on an out-of-the-way forum thread, without trying to have a conversation directly with them first... doesn't look very role-model-y.