Fuses

For discussion directly related to LifeWiki.
dvgrn

Re: Fuses

Post by dvgrn » December 11th, 2023, 5:39 pm

HerscheltheHerschel wrote:
December 11th, 2023, 11:20 am
Again, a reason to not delete the pond fuse...
Sorry, but that's not actually a reason to keep the pond fuse article.

I'm not sure how else to help you figure out the difference between notability and non-notability a little better, but long story short:

You're not supposed to document your own discoveries on the LifeWiki. That also includes not forming small groups of extra-enthusiastic discoverers of things who collude to document each other's discoveries. If your discovery is notable, please trust that someone will add it to the LifeWiki -- but please also be aware that the great majority of discoveries will not ever get added to the LifeWiki.

Notability is a fairly high hurdle to get past; please don't be in a big hurry about it.

Haycat2009

Post by Haycat2009 » December 11th, 2023, 10:41 pm

dvgrn wrote:
December 11th, 2023, 5:39 pm
December 11th, 2023, 11:20 am
Again, a reason to not delete the pond fuse...
Sorry, but that's not actually a reason to keep the pond fuse article.

I'm not sure how else to help you figure out the difference between notability and non-notability a little better, but long story short:

You're not supposed to document your own discoveries on the LifeWiki. That also includes not forming small groups of extra-enthusiastic discoverers of things who collude to document each other's discoveries. If your discovery is notable, please trust that someone will add it to the LifeWiki -- but please also be aware that the great majority of discoveries will not ever get added to the LifeWiki.

Notability is a fairly high hurdle to get past; please don't be in a big hurry about it.
I will add them on HerscheltheHerschel's behalf.
~ Haycat Durnak, a hard-working editor
Also, support Conway and Friends story mode!
I mean no harm to those who have tested me. But do not take this for granted.

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » December 12th, 2023, 9:23 am

Haycat2009 wrote:
December 11th, 2023, 10:41 pm
I'm feeling like a bit of a broken record here, but doing that doesn't help the issue, which is that the pond fuse article is very likely going to get deleted because there isn't anything notable to put on it. Adding non-notable stuff won't keep it from getting deleted.
dvgrn wrote:
You're not supposed to document your own discoveries on the LifeWiki. That also includes not forming small groups of extra-enthusiastic discoverers of things who collude to document each other's discoveries.
Please keep working on figuring out the dividing line between "notable" and "non-notable". It's subtle and tricky, and lots of people don't understand it at first ... but pretty much everybody gets it eventually.

HerscheltheHerschel

Post by HerscheltheHerschel » December 12th, 2023, 9:25 am

dvgrn wrote:
December 12th, 2023, 9:23 am
Haycat2009 wrote:
December 11th, 2023, 10:41 pm
I'm feeling like a bit of a broken record here, but doing that doesn't help the issue, which is that the pond fuse article is very likely going to get deleted because there isn't anything notable to put on it. Adding non-notable stuff won't keep it from getting deleted.
dvgrn wrote:
You're not supposed to document your own discoveries on the LifeWiki. That also includes not forming small groups of extra-enthusiastic discoverers of things who collude to document each other's discoveries.
Please keep working on figuring out the dividing line between "notable" and "non-notable". It's subtle and tricky, and lots of people don't understand it at first ... but pretty much everybody gets it eventually.
"document each other's discoveries" I didn't document any of Haycat's discoveries, neither did I edit the pond fuse page anytime.
Also, this thread makes me want to be able to dislike posts.
superstrings, fuses, waves, wicks, and agars are cool
30P5H2V0 IS A BAD, UNMEMORIZABLE NAME
moved to new account hth

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » December 12th, 2023, 11:56 am

December 12th, 2023, 9:25 am
"document each other's discoveries" I didn't document any of Haycat's discoveries, neither did I edit the pond fuse page anytime.
Also, this thread makes me want to be able to dislike posts.
Sorry to hear that. It's always difficult to handle these communications -- all the options are kind of bad. I'll adjust my statement in case it wasn't clear: if one person who doesn't understand LifeWiki notability criteria makes a commitment to add another person's non-notable discoveries, that's really just an attempt to dodge around the notability rule; it's just as much counter to the spirit of the notability rule as someone adding their own discoveries.

There are people around here who have been working on the LifeWiki for a long time and have put a lot of work into it, sometimes over a decade.

Generally those people would really like their work to not be wasted, which means they'd really like the LifeWiki to remain somewhat recognizable. The notable information that they carefully documented in the LifeWiki should remain easy to find.

If a whole lot of non-notable details get added, the notable material gets lost in the clutter. Even if the LifeWiki gets, say, twice as big as it is now, with most of the new stuff not matching up with the community consensus of what "notable" means ... then suddenly there's a problem: the LifeWiki becomes no longer trustworthy.

People wouldn't be able to look something up on the LifeWiki with the reasonable expectation that the details there are good, carefully curated information. They'd have to second-guess everything, or check the article history and see who added what, and memorize a list of what authors have a conservative idea of what "notability" means and what authors have decided to add things like pond fuses the moment that they get discovered, even though there are thousands of them, with mostly none of them having any special claim to notability.

That doesn't work -- so when people start adding non-notable articles to the LifeWiki, the articles generally get deleted -- hopefully in a polite way, with a really good effort being made to explain the notability problem ... but still, the articles have to get deleted.

A forum thread is a much better collection point for things like the pond fuses I've seen so far, than a LifeWiki article would be. Maybe that might change, if for some reason a much wider community interest develops having to do with pond fuses.

But ... basically, it's usually safer to wait a year or two before creating an article about something new -- just to see if enough community interest does develop. There are exceptions to every rule, like new big discoveries that are nominated for Pattern of the Year, but that's a good rule of thumb.

Quantum-mechanics

Post by Quantum-mechanics » December 14th, 2023, 5:34 am

hotdogPi wrote:
December 11th, 2023, 11:47 am
I see absolutely no use in that fuse.
No, the first page fifth post first rle is useful, can make wires or spaceships with it.
EDIT:
Useless, can’t use G+Blinker.
Last edited by Quantum-mechanics on December 25th, 2023, 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

confocaloid

Post by confocaloid » December 24th, 2023, 12:39 am

If people want to keep the content in user namespace, then instead of reuploading the page by copy/paste, I think one should use page move functionality (to preserve edit history), and delete the copy/paste version.

See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:RUU (Wikipedia)
127:1 B3/S234c User:Confocal/R (isotropic CA, incomplete)
Unlikely events happen.
My silence does not imply agreement, nor indifference. If I disagreed with something in the past, then please do not construe my silence as something that could change that.

dvgrn

Post by dvgrn » December 24th, 2023, 8:13 am

confocaloid wrote:
December 24th, 2023, 12:39 am
... I think one should use page move functionality (to preserve edit history), and delete the copy/paste version.
The comment period for the proposed deletion won't end until January 5 at the earliest. If the idea of a page move to Hotcrystal0's user pages seems okay to everyone, we can go ahead and do the move then.

I guess if it seems like such an obvious alternative that past editors of Pond fuse all seem to think it's a good idea, then we could go ahead and do the move sooner (since in a way it's no longer a deletion, so it doesn't have to follow deletion rules). But, as usual, it doesn't seem like there needs to be any particular hurry.