dedicated MediaWiki namespace for tutorials?

For discussion directly related to LifeWiki.
confocaloid

dedicated MediaWiki namespace for tutorials?

Post by confocaloid » November 20th, 2023, 11:31 pm

confocaloid wrote:
November 20th, 2023, 10:55 pm
Several of links you posted are to tutorials, which are not really articles (to the point that it would make sense to have a separate dedicated MediaWiki namespace for tutorials). Tutorials do not have clear-cut style requirements, and a tutorial may reasonably contain personal preferences of a major contributor. So you can exclude tutorials from your list of links.
Tutorials are currently located in the main article namespace (there is a prefix "Tutorials/" but it belongs to the pagename and is not an actual namespace).
Still, the tutorials are not really articles: they are different in spirit ("how to do this or that?" instead of "what is this?"), and there are no hard-and-fast style guidelines for tutorials (for example they can be written in second person).

Hence the suggestion to create a dedicated MediaWiki namespace for tutorials/how-to guides, to acknowledge the fact that these pages are different enough to warrant a separate treatment/guidelines (hopefully reducing further misunderstanding).

Note: the idea for a separate namespace for tutorials was already mentioned before:
* LifeWiki:Tiki_bar/Archive/2018#Category:Toplevel_category "Tutorials could actually well get their own namespace"
127:1 B3/S234c User:Confocal/R (isotropic CA, incomplete)
Unlikely events happen.
My silence does not imply agreement, nor indifference. If I disagreed with something in the past, then please do not construe my silence as something that could change that.